After picking up a healthy living newsletter from a local health & fitness club, I was amazed about some of the findings. Among them, news on “cheap bling”.
Here’s what the article in Natural Awakenings (Aug 2012) has to say about the issue:
“Research from the Ecology Center, a nonprofit environmental organization, discloses that more than half of low-cost metal adult and children’s jewelry contains large amounts of toxic chemicals, including lead, cadmium, nickel, chromium, and chlorine (from polyvinyl chloride, or PVC). The report notes that these chemicals have been linked in animal and some human studies to acute allergies and long-term health impacts such as birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, and cancer. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, young children should not be given or allowed to play with cheap metal jewelry, especially when unsupervised.”
This may be a reason to opt for quality over quantity; be careful about your purchases. Cheaper is not always better, especially knowing this. I remember my younger cousin used to get allergies from nickel-based belts, earrings, necklaces, etc. from stores that we commonly see at U.S. malls. I am not sure I can directly mention which stores are crimes of these types of products, but I am sure you (especially the ladies!) can imagine which ones…you may end up having side effects that SEAL the deal for FOREVER health problems…I know that was a little cheesy but you get what I mean 🙂
Keep in mind, your skin, the largest organ of your body, ABSORBS chemicals, lotions, etc. through its pores. If you wear something all day long, and it has some chemical which is able to pass through your pores, washing your skin with soap is not going to help you. It’s already in your body.